For a while, the value offered by YouTube TV seemed too good be true – and now the streaming service has shown that was indeed the case with its first big price hike in three years.The US-only subscription service, which offers cable-like features like live sports, will see its price raised to $72.99 per month (opens in new tab) (up from $64.99). YouTube TV has blamed the rise on the fact that “content costs have risen”. Subscribers will see the price change from April 18, while new members will be charged it now.That price doesn’t include 4K resolution streaming, but YouTube TV has at least lowered the cost of that add-on to $9.99 per month (down from $19.99). However, the Google-owned company hasn’t yet said if this price drop is temporary or permanent.In an apologetic email to subscribers, YouTube TV added that “we also understand that some members may want to cancel their service”, which echoed an official Tweet stating that “we want to give you the flexibility to cancel at any time”. It provided subscribers a link (opens in new tab) to do just that. In fairness to YouTube TV, many of the best streaming services have raised their prices in recent months. That includes the likes of Sling TV, which has traditionally been one its cheapest rivals, and also Hulu, whose Hulu Live TV bundle went up to $69.99 at the end of last year.But during this challenging financial year, some subscribers may understandably conclude that the live elements and choice offered by YouTube TV are difficult to justify at this new monthly price, which now works out to over $875 a year.
Analysis: End of an era?
(Image credit: YouTube TV)When it launched in 2017, YouTube TV looked like the perfect replacement for cable TV providers who bundled too many unnecessary features into overpriced bundles, while charging you for the privilege of bonuses like HD quality.Back then, YouTube TV cost only $34.99 a month. So while this new price hike is the first one in three years, the service still costs more than twice its original launch price, which puts it closer to those cable TV rivals.YouTube TV still has a few advantages over traditional cable, including the ability to cancel at any time. That’s a lot better than being locked into a never-ending contract. You can also share your YouTube TV membership with up to five other people by creating a ‘family group’.But given the similar rises we’ve seen from its TV streaming rivals like Sling TV and Hulu, it does feel like the glory days of cheap TV streaming are over. Even if the likes of YouTube TV do now let you watch four streams simultaneously with features like ‘multiview’ (above).
In June 2021, YouTube TV announced increasing its subscription fee from $64.99 to $84.99 per month, resulting in a massive price hike of over 30%. To help their subscribers adjust to the change, the company released instructions on how to cancel their service if they choose to do so.
How to Cancel YouTube TV Subscription:
If you want to cancel your YouTube TV subscription to avoid the price hike, follow the steps below:
1. Log in to your YouTube TV account using your computer or mobile device.
2. Click on your profile photo in the top right corner.
3. Select “Settings,” then “Membership.”
4. Select “Deactivate Membership” and follow the prompts.
Q: Why did YouTube TV increase their subscription fee?
A: According to the company, the price hike was due to rising programming and operating costs.
Q: Will I get a refund if I cancel my YouTube TV subscription mid-month?
A: No, YouTube TV does not provide refunds for partial months.
Q: Can I cancel my subscription and sign up again later?
A: Yes, you can cancel your subscription at any time and sign up again later.
Q: Can I still watch YouTube TV until the end of the month after canceling?
A: Yes, you can still access YouTube TV until the end of your current billing cycle.
YouTube TV’s decision to increase its subscription fee was not received well by subscribers, leading to the company releasing instructions on how to cancel your membership. If you decide to cancel your YouTube TV subscription, follow the steps provided above to do so smoothly.
- The team of experts at TechListen.com are dedicated to providing you with the best information and insights on the latest and greatest technology. Our experts have extensive knowledge and experience in the tech industry, and are constantly researching and analyzing the newest products and services so you can make informed decisions. We provide detailed reviews and analysis of the latest gadgets and gizmos, as well as the hottest trends in the industry. Our team is committed to helping you stay up-to-date with the ever-changing world of technology, so you can get the most out of your tech investments. With our expertise and dedication to providing the best information, TechListen.com is the premier online destination for all things tech.
- NewsAugust 25, 2023Instacart Unveils $428 Million Profit with Anticipated Slowing Growth Prior to I.P.O.
- ReviewsAugust 23, 2023Reviewing Immortals of Aveum: Do You Believe in Magic?
- NewsAugust 22, 2023Quordle Today: Hints and Answers for Wednesday, August 23, Game #576
- NewsAugust 19, 2023Cruise Decreases Driverless Car Fleet in San Francisco After Crash